Sunday, September 7, 2008

How I came to be on the tour

Martin Boothman's 1927 Alvis 12/50 TG, about to board the transporter ship for Melbourne.

It all started in 2000 when Robin Bendall of the Alvis Owner Club (AOC) decided to organize a Fall (Autumn) Tour of New England and Canada. 81 cars left Southampton, many more joined along the way and 195 people were on the three week tour.

I opted not to take my 1925 Alvis SC 12/50 from Florida, but did fly into Maine in the hopes of finding a spare seat in an Alvis to ride along. That's when I met Martin Boothman and his co-driver/navigator, Malcolm, in Martin's 1927 12/50 TG, an Alvis very similar to mine. The dickie/rumble seat was available, and that's where I spent a few terrific sunny and bright, but cold days.

Since then, Martin and I have remained in fairly regular e-mail contact

Fast forward to 2007, when I read with interest the plans for the JNBC Memorial Tour in Australia. "How I wish I could be on that tour," I thought.

Then in February this year in comes an e-mail from Martin advising he's going on the tour and would I like to be his navigator/co-driver! I think it took be about 3 minutes to decide, and seek appropriate blessing from my bride, Celia, which was granted!

Just about 4 weeks to go!

No comments: